- New Clio and New Clio Renault Sport receive host of upgrades and enhancements
- New Clio receives updated styling cues and upgraded interior
- New Clio uses materials and technologies usually found on top-of-the-range Renaults to deliver a safer and more refined drive such as LED headlights and Hands Free Parking
- Two new powertrains available – dCi 110 and TCe 120 with a manual transmission
- CO2 as low as 82g/km and economy of up to 88.3MPG (NEDC Combined)
- BOSE sound system available for the first time on Clio
- Addition of R&GO means every New Clio has access to a navigation and infotainment system
- New Clio Renault Sport 200 and 220 Trophy given exterior and interior updates including distinctive R.S. Vision lighting – a world first
- Ordering for New Clio and New Clio Renault Sport opens in the UK in September
- UK pricing to be announced closer to UK on sale date
“Clio embodies Renault’s acclaimed reputation for delivering larger car attributes in a compact, yet affordable vehicle. Since 2012, the Renault Clio has won over an increasingly large fan base thanks to its style and versatility, as well as through the generosity of its equipment package. New Clio gains maturity and combines painstaking attention to detail and styling with driving pleasure, advanced connectivity and innovative features to facilitate driving and travelling comfort.”
Ali Kassaï – Head of Product Planning
- Drawing inspiration directly from Renault’s DeZir concept car, the fourth-generation Clio was the first model to feature the brand’s new styling identity in 2012.
- New Renault Clio is more appealing than ever, courtesy of its full-LED lighting signature and the incorporation of design cues and interior ambiances that exude quality and careful attention to detail.
- Renowned for its dynamic capabilities, New Clio is just as at home around town as it is on the open road and now incorporates Hands Free Parking to further alleviate the stresses of urban motoring.
- Depending on version, New Clio offers three connected multimedia options, introducing the innovative R&GO® system and the latest evolution of the R-LINK system.
- New Clio now boasts one of the most comprehensive powertrain ranges on the market thanks to the introduction of the 1.5 dCi 110 engine and the mating of a 6-speed manual gearbox to the TCe 120.
- Available with four equipment levels not to mention numerous customisation possibilities, New Clio has been designed to win over an increasingly large customer base with a wide spectrum of requirements and expectations.
- New Clio R.S. incorporates all of the advances offered by New Clio and further enhances that package by drawing upon Renault Sport’s knowledge and expertise.
- With global sales exceeding 400,000 in 2015, the Clio tops its class in Europe (passenger car and LCV registrations in 2014 & 2015) and figures amongst the best-selling vehicles in its segment throughout the rest of the world.
- In order to keep up with this success, the Novo Mesto plant in Slovenia will become the fourth factory to assemble New Clio from February 2017, in addition to Bursa in Turkey and Flins in France. Dieppe in France will still manufacture Renault Sport versions.
- Having achieved more than 13 million sales since it was first launched in 1990, the Clio is the best-selling French car of all time. That success story now continues with New Clio which will go on sale in more than 100 countries from September 2016.
- Over 1.2 million Clios have been sold in the UK since its initial UK launch on 29 March 1991.
UPDATED STYLE DOWN TO THE TINIEST OF DETAILS
A new lighting signature
New Clio stands apart from the competition thanks to its full-LED front lighting signature (depending on version) in-line with that of Renault’s other recent models.
At the front, full LED “Pure Vision” headlights fulfil the dual function of dipped and main beam. This technology enhances the vehicle’s appearance as well as safety by emitting a light that is 20 per cent more powerful than a halogen beam whilst at the same time reducing glare.
On higher-end versions, New Clio’s headlamps additionally incorporate C-shaped LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), emblematic of the brand’s new lighting signature. The permanent rear LED lights mirror this look by similarly adopting a C-shaped design (depending on version). In its entry-level and mid-range versions, New Clio benefits from LED Daytime Running Lights and a chrome trim along the bottom of the grille.
The most stylish Clio yet
At the front, the top grille that houses the logo has been redesigned, as has the lower grille which is now visibly broader and more modern. At the rear, the bumper has been redesigned for additional robustness. Meanwhile, four new colours have been added to the existing selection (Mars Red, Titanium Grey, Frost White and Iron Blue), along with new wheel and wheel trim designs.
Visually pleasing, quality materials
The New Clio benefits from the introduction of materials usually employed by Renault’s top-of-the-range models. The texture of its plastics is of a higher visual and tactile quality, its chrome is more subtle, with less glare, and the colours inside the cabin are also more refined. In short, the New Clio is an altogether more grown-up proposition, with its seductive style on the outside perfectly complemented by the sophistication within.
A series of upgrades driven by attention-to-detail and refinement
The steering wheel has been redesigned, with the discarding of some of its plastic components giving it a more upmarket feel in keeping with the rest of New Clio’s cabin. In higher-end versions, it is trimmed with full-grain leather. The gear lever, as well as the door panels, have been redesigned for a greater impression of quality. Now in a single housing, the armrests are more aesthetically pleasing thanks to a new grained finish and also incorporate new controls. The central air vents also sport a new look, whilst the LED interior lighting produces a pleasant, warm glow. The seat fabrics are of a higher quality across the board and, in higher grades, the design of the seats is more enveloping for superior lateral support.
A new customisation programme
Thanks to its new customisation programme, New Clio can be purchased in more than 30 different colour combinations. Customers are invited to choose from:
- five roof decals (graded design or single colour) and painted door mirrors for a two-tone effect,
- four exterior customisation packs: front grill bars and side protective mouldings.
All decals are factory-fitted, guaranteeing an impeccable finish. New Clio offers two new interior ambiences, namely Florida Red and Smoky Grey.
NEW EQUIPMENT THAT PROVIDES AGILITY AND CONNECTIVITY
For over 25 years, the Renault Clio has consistently changed the game in terms of the equipment it has offered, while at the same time revolutionising the versatile small city car market by incorporating technologies previously reserved for vehicles from higher segments. New Clio remains faithful to those roots by proposing three different multimedia systems, plus other features that simplify the driving experience. Last but not least, the opportunity to add BOSE® sound quality for the first time on a Renault B-segment model provides access to premium acoustics.
An increasingly connected car, right from the entry level version
The R&GO® system now available on entry level version
New Clio is firmly in tune with the times courtesy of R&GO®, a simple yet ingenious system that instantly connects the vehicle with its user’s smartphone. With their smartphone placed in the universal cradle, and thanks to a special application, users can easily and intuitively access the car’s most frequently employed functions which have been separated into four different areas: Navigation, Phone, Multimedia and Vehicle.
Media Nav Evolution: exceptional value for money
Mid-range versions of New Clio come with Media Nav Evolution, a comprehensive multimedia system that offers the best benefit-cost ratio on the market, as evidenced by the wealth of features it incorporates.
Media Nav Evolution incorporates a dashboard-mounted 7-inch touch screen display and offers features such as navigation with traffic information, Bluetooth connectivity to enable use of the telephone and listening to music streamed from a smartphone, as well as rear view camera display and the ECO mode, which provides drivers with information about the way they drive and tips on how to improve their fuel economy.
Renault R-LINK Evolution: the last word in on-board connectivity
Renault R-LINK Evolution and its suite of connected services constitute a comprehensive multimedia system. Renowned for the quality of its graphics and ergonomics, R-LINK Evolution takes the form of a customisable integrated tablet complete with a seven-inch landscape screen allowing users to enlarge, reduce or move images with just a touch of their fingers as they would with a smartphone.
R-LINK Evolution incorporates:
- TomTom® navigation, including real-time traffic information (TomTom® Live services) and road safety warnings with a year’s free subscription (depending on market)
- Bluetooth and 3G functions
- DAB radio
- Voice recognition
- Photo playback and video streaming (when the vehicle is stationary)
- Renault R-LINK Store, providing access to a wide and varied catalogue of applications
- Management of the new driver aids (depending on version)
Features that both simplify and enhance the driving experience
Even more agile
Since the very first generation of the model, the Clio’s reputation has been founded on its ability to cope with both city motoring and long distance journeys with equal ease. Thanks to its driving aids, New Clio marks another step forward again in terms of agility and versatility.
It is available with parking sensors fitted all around the vehicle, making the car particularly manoeuvrable, even in the trickiest driving and parking situations.
In addition to its rear parking sensor, and depending on the version, New Clio offers a front parking sensor and a rear view camera to simplify manoeuvers and help to avoid the bumps and scrapes that are a daily risk of driving in an urban environment.
The introduction of the Hands Free Parking system on higher-end versions makes parking easier. The driver begins by indicating what type of parking they are looking for, be it parallel, bay or diagonal. When the vehicle is travelling at speeds below 20mph, this system detects all available spaces that are big enough to accommodate New Clio. Once a suitable space has been identified, the system calculates and co-ordinates the vehicle’s steering, meaning the driver does not need to touch the wheel and can focus solely on acceleration, braking and gear changes.
Greater comfort and amenities
To make New Clio’s in-car experience even more enjoyable and hassle-free, a variety of enhancements are available depending on the version:
- LED front headlights offer greater visibility and visual comfort, which in turn improves safety
- Door mirrors now fold in automatically when the doors are locked from the outside
- Vanity mirrors are illuminated
- Auto-dimming electro-chrome rear-view mirror, which prevents headlight glare when driving at night
The added bonus of BOSE® audio system
Renault and BOSE® have been partners since 2008 and, following in the footsteps of the Koleos, Mégane, Scénic, Laguna, Latitude, Espace, Kadjar and Talisman, New Clio is the first B-segment Renault model to benefit from BOSE® expertise in the design and development of its audio system.
The incomparable experience of listening to BOSE® sound transforms New Clio’s cabin into a veritable concert hall, producing authentic, clear and realistic music worthy of a live performance.
This audio experience is achieved via a system specifically tailored to New Clio, with no fewer than seven high-performance loudspeakers:
- Two in the front, incorporated into the dashboard
- Two in the front door panels
- Two in the rear door panels
- A subwoofer featuring exclusive BOSE® waveguide for a rich bass sound, located in the boot
AN EXPANDED ENGINE RANGE THAT TAKES DRIVING PLEASURE TO NEW LEVELS
Two new powertrains: the dCi 110 and TCe 120, both with 6-speed manual transmission
More power and enhanced driving enjoyment with the 1.5 dCi 110 diesel engine
New Clio has expanded its diesel offering with the addition of a unit that promises more power and enhanced driving enjoyment: the Energy 1.5 dCi 110 mated to a six-speed manual gearbox.
Equipped with both Stop & Start technology and a system that recovers energy under braking and deceleration, this engine delivers 110hp at 4,000rpm and 260Nm of torque at 1,750rpm. A new turbo design makes this engine extremely responsive at lower revs.
TCe 120 petrol engine now available with a six-speed manual transmission
New Clio range also includes the petrol Energy TCe 120 engine, mated to a six-speed manual gearbox. Offering an alternative to the EDC (Efficient Dual Clutch) automatic transmission, this manual option will target cost-conscious customers who wish to retain complete driving control. Benefitting from direct injection, turbocharging and Stop & Start technology, this unit delivers 205Nm of torque at 2,000rpm.
One of the most comprehensive engine offerings on the market
New Clio offers one of the widest ranges of diesel engines around, with a choice between 90hp or 110hp units and either manual or, on the dCi 90, EDC dual-clutch automatic transmission.
Its petrol line-up is similarly encompassing, with options for 75hp, 90hp or 120hp and either manual or EDC dual-clutch automatic transmission.
Including the petrol engines found in the Renault Sport variants, New Clio offers no fewer than nine different powertrains, making its engine/transmission line-up one of the most extensive on the market to meet the requirements of all of its buyers, be they private motorists or business customers.
As with the fourth-generation version, the New Clio UK line-up offers four versions: Expression, Play, Dynamique Nav and Dynamique S Nav. Sitting on top of these is the high-performance Renault Sport Clio line-up.
Right from the entry point the equipment specification is impressive in every department. Expression trim level Clios are equipped with Electronic Stability Control, Electronic Traction Control, Hill Start Assist, six airbags, cruise control and speed limiter.
The new R&GO app-based system offers satellite navigation and infotainment from the user’s smartphone – mounted in a dashboard cradle. There is also Bluetooth connectivity, a DAB/FM/AM tuner with 2 x 20W stereo, USB and jack connection points. Electric front windows, electric and heated door mirrors, central locking and keycard entry with Start/Stop button provide added convenience. Practicality is provided by a height and reach adjustable steering wheel, height adjustable driver’s seat and a 60:40 split folding rear seat.
Play versions add 16-inch alloys, front fog lights and air conditioning.
The next stage is Dynamique Nav. The key feature here is Renault’s MediaNav system, a tablet-style integrated multimedia system controlled by a 7-inch touchscreen which provides DAB radio, Bluetooth streaming, TMC traffic information and SIRI “Eyes-Free” control for compatible iPhones. The stereo is upgraded to a 4 x 20W Arkamys system. Additional convenience is provided by a Handsfree Keycard, automatic lights and wipers, electrically operated and heated, body coloured door mirrors and a one-touch function on the electric front windows. There are various black gloss and chrome interior and exterior trim items as well as a leather steering wheel.
Dynamique S Nav additions include full LED front and rear lights, integrating the DRLs at the front and rear, 17-inch alloy wheels, climate control, centre armrest, electrically folding door mirrors, rear electric windows and rear parking sensors.
Dynamique Nav and Dynamique S Nav versions are available with a GT Line Look Pack which adds an even sportier edge through GT Anthracite alloy wheels (16-inch on Dynamique Nav and 17-inch on Dynamique S Nav), front bumper with Dark Metal air scoops and lateral sills (like the Clio R.S), Dark Metal rear bumper panel, and an exclusive exhaust with a chrome tailpipe. There are also Anthracite door mirror casings and protective inserts on the doors, Renault Sport sill kick plates and GT Line badging.
For owners who want even more style and technology, there is an extensive options list that takes in the kind of features usually associated with larger cars, including a fixed glass panoramic roof and a rear parking camera (linked to the optional R-Link system).
Going further, Clio can be transformed into a genuine one-off thanks to a huge array of personalisation options that add co-ordinated colour touches and finishes to the cabin, wheels and exterior, as well as a choice of vibrant roof decals.
|New Clio version
||MPG (Combined, NEDC)
|Expression 1.2 16V 75
|Play 1.2 16V 75
|Play TCe 90
|Play dCi 90
|Play TCe 90 ECO
|Play dCi 90 ECO
|Dynamique Nav 1.2 16V 75
|Dynamique Nav TCe 90
|Dynamique Nav dCi 90
|Dynamique Nav TCe 90 ECO
|Dynamique Nav TCe 120
|Dynamique Nav dCi 90 ECO
|Dynamique Nav TCe 120 Auto EDC
|Dynamique Nav dCi 90 Auto EDC
|Dynamique S Nav TCe 90
|Dynamique S Nav dCi 90
|Dynamique S Nav dCi 90 Auto EDC
|Dynamique S Nav TCe 120
|Dynamique S Nav TCe 120 Auto EDC
|Dynamique S Nav dCi 110
NEW CLIO RENAULT SPORT
- Two power outputs and three chassis: the new Clio R.S packs a host of technologies for immediate driving pleasure
- New Clio R.S. features R.S. VISION lighting as a standard feature – a world first
- New Clio R.S. Trophy gains an exclusive optional Akrapovič exhaust system
- The New GT-Line Look Pack provides Clio with a smart exterior sporty look
The New Clio R.S. 200 EDC, Clio R.S. 220 Trophy and new GT-Line look pack incorporate the advances offered by the New Clio and further enhance that package by drawing on Renault Sport’s wealth of knowledge and expertise.
“The new Clio R.S. offers the full spectrum of Renault Sport technology for immediate driving pleasure. At launch, each customer will be able to choose from three types of chassis and two power outputs. The model also inaugurates the highly efficient and innovative R.S. VISION lighting system, Renault Sport’s exclusive lighting signature,” announced Patrice Ratti, CEO, Renault Sport Cars.
Exhaust line, power output, chassis: a unique package in its segment
The New Clio R.S. is available with a 1.6-litre turbocharged petrol engine with a choice of two power outputs (200hp and 220hp on the Trophy version), mated to six-speed EDC dual-clutch automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifts.
It is the only car in its class to offer three different types of chassis, giving customers the opportunity to ‘tailor-build’ their own Clio R.S. The options available are:
- Sport chassis with 17- or 18-inch wheels, emphasising versatility and everyday use
- A strengthened Cup chassis with 18-inch wheels, providing the perfect blend of road and circuit driving characteristics
- Trophy chassis with 18-inch wheels, lowered by 20mm at the front and 10mm at the rear to place the focus firmly on driving pleasure.
Uniquely in its segment, the Trophy version can be specified with an exclusive exhaust system inspired by the Clio R.S.16 concept car and developed in tandem with industry specialist Akrapovič which imbues the engine with an instantly recognisable sound and ensures sprightly acceleration. Patrice Ratti, commented: “We are working with renowned suppliers committed to motorsport such as Akrapovič to forge ever stronger links between the track and the road.”
The 200hp powerplant is available with the Sport and Cup chassis, while the 220hp unit can be selected for the Trophy variants. The 220hp Trophy version is capable of out-performing all other sporty vehicles in its class, taking just 6.6 seconds to sprint from 0-62mph, 14.5 seconds to cover 400m from a standing start and going on to reach a top speed of 146mph.
The Clio R.S. also innovates with an unprecedented equipment package for the segment, including Launch Control, the R.S. Drive system which enables a choice of three driving modes (Normal, Sport and Race), the R.S. Monitor application and hydraulic compression bump stops developed by Renault Sport for rallying.
R.S. VISION: a world first for additional multi-faceted LED lighting technology
The front end of the new CLIO R.S. is visually broader by virtue of a specific front bumper, and the car is completed by LED multi-faceted lighting in the form of a chequered flag called R.S. Vision, for a distinctive look and outstanding lighting performance. This exclusive technology, initially seen on the Clio R.S.16 concept car, co-ordinates the vehicle’s fog lights, cornering lights, side lights and main beam to enhance night-time visibility by around 40 per cent compared to the previous Clio R.S.
The new Clio R.S. also offers new 18-inch wheels and specific sills. At the rear there is a spoiler, functional diffuser and twin exhaust tail pipes, while the rear lights carry over the C-shaped lighting signature. The Renault Sport (R.S.) logo appears underneath the Renault badge at the front of the car, on the wheels and at the rear.
||MPG (NEDC Combined)
|Renault Sport 200 Auto EDC
|Renault Sport 220 Trophy Auto EDC
GT Line look pack, a distinct style
With the GT Line look pack, the new Clio takes on a sporty look with forceful features that immediately set it apart. The New Clio with the GT Line look pack is equipped with Dark Metal air scoops in the front bumper along with lateral sills (like the Clio R.S.), uniquely designed 16- or 17-inch wheels, as well as an exclusive exhaust with a chrome tail pipe and a Dark Metal rear bumper panel.
The New Clio and New Clio R.S. are available to order sale in the UK from September with customer deliveries from the autumn.
About Groupe Renault
Groupe Renault has been making cars since 1898. Today it is an international multi-brand group, selling more than 2.8 million vehicles in 125 countries in 2015, with 36 manufacturing sites, 12,000 points of sales and employing more than 120,000 people. To meet the major technological challenges of the future and continue its strategy of profitable growth, the Group is harnessing its international growth and the complementary fit of its three brands, Renault, Dacia and Renault Samsung Motors, together with electric vehicles and the unique Alliance with Nissan. With a new team in Formula 1 and a strong commitment to Formula E, Renault sees motorsport as a vector of innovation and brand awareness.
In the UK, Groupe Renault UK has over 150 dealers selling the range of Renault cars, LCVs and Dacia. Groupe Renault UK sales significantly outpaced the UK vehicle market during 2015, with sales totalling 127,343 vehicles – up 17 per cent on 2014.